Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing 20

I was not really looking forward to Facebook.... my teens all have one and we have experienced the "dark side" of social networking. In an attempt to "be a good sport" about social networking, I did the Thing, and was surprised at how easy it is to connect to other people. I immediately had a list of friends for HS (OK just one from 1980) and college (many more).
I see this as being more social and less informational, therefore appealing to college or public libraries as a method of outreach. Our school district blocks myspace and facebook, and for now that is probably good. I will check back on my groups- I signed up for 3 groups and so far I'm keeping it professional. I did not contact friends-- but I hope to soon.
I was impressed with the Hennepin Co. Myspace and I think that lots of teens like this type of interactive library, and an easy way to talk about life, books and everything in-between.

No comments: